How Exercise and Cortisol are Linked
Cortisol is called the stress hormone because the adrenal glands release more of it when your mind or body is under stress. Cortisol works with adrenaline to respond to high-stress situations, and together, they produce the “fight or flight” response. It keeps your eyes wide open and your attention as focused as it can be. Other systems, such as digestion, take a back seat to allow your body to focus on the problem at hand. The AIRWAAV Performance Mouthpiece can help your body recover when you put it under stress (on purpose) by exercising intensely.
Cortisol performs positive critical functions in your body as well. It aids in creating memories and helps you wake up each morning and feel alert throughout the day. It assists in managing inflammation levels, sodium and water retention levels, and blood sugar levels. It also plays a supporting role in your metabolism.
However, in situations like strenuous workouts, your body tells itself to produce more cortisol than is needed, because exercise puts your body under stress. If you practice endurance running or cycling, HIIT, weightlifting, bodybuilding or other high-intensity or endurance exercise, you run the risk of developing chronic high cortisol levels. This can lead to a number of negative effects of varying degrees. Increased belly and back fat, high blood pressure, extreme fatigue, and weak muscles are the exact opposite of the goals of your extreme fitness plan. Other negative impacts you may experience are acne or skin issues, mood changes, bruising easily, and concentration issues.
Fortunately, there are ways to decrease cortisol naturally. Many foods can help you limit your cortisol amounts, and the AIRWAAV Performance Mouthpiece is a natural cortisol reduction device you can use while training. Continue reading to learn more about cortisol-reducing foods and the AIRWAAV.
Foods that Can Help Reduce Cortisol Levels in Your Body
- Dark chocolate can reduce cortisol and other stress hormones that produce the “fight or flight” response, also known as catecholamines.
- Holy basil, which is also called tulsi, is an adaptogenic herb that helps reduce the production of cortisol, making it effective at counteracting the stress extreme fitness can put your body through.
- Fish, especially salmon, has essential omega-3 fatty acids, which help keep cortisol and adrenaline from spiking when you put your body under stress. It can also strengthen and protect your heart, which benefits your workout plan as well.
- Broccoli is chock-full of vitamin C, which is a proven stress buster and lowers cortisol levels.
- Ashwagandha is another adaptogenic herb that was shown to lower cortisol levels by nearly 28 percent when athletes used the herb for 60 days.
- Oranges have even more vitamin C than broccoli and are known for improving your immune system and reducing cortisol levels.
The AIRWAAV Performance Mouthpiece directions your tongue down and forward and when you bite down, it creates the optimal airway opening. It's patented and scientifically proven with peer-reviewed, published research to provide athletes:
- Increased Endurance: Reduces your respiratory rate by 20%.
- Increased Strength: Improves muscular endurance.
- Faster Recovery: Reduces cortisol build up levels by up to 50%.
How can the AIRWAAV help reduce cortisol and improve my performance?
The AIRWAAV Performance Mouthpiece is made using our patented VistaMaxx, which is tough enough to withstand daily use and soft enough that it’s comfortable to wear workout after workout. It has two features that help you during your workouts.
The intake bar is placed behind your bottom front teeth. During your workout, you tuck your tongue down and forward under the bar. The bite plate is placed over your lower molars for you so you can clench your teeth lightly together during exercise. This keeps the device in place and it also helps to position your jaw in such a way that keeps your airway open wider than it otherwise would be. The combination of the tongue placement and jaw position provided by the AIRWAAV can open your airway by 8 to 9 percent more than normal.
Increased oxygen reduces your respiratory rate by 20 percent, which results in less lactic acid production. It also gives your muscles faster recovery times by reducing cortisol buildup during exercise by up to half. With the help of the AIRWAAV Performance Mouthpiece, you can level up your strength and endurance, whether your sport is cycling, running, weightlifting, HIIT, or another fitness program.
The AIRWAAV is not to be confused with a protective mouthguard that athletes wear during contact sports. While it doesn’t provide protection from damage to your teeth or mouth, it will provide the benefits extreme athletes like you need in your individual sport.
Where can I get an AIRWAAV Performance Mouthpiece to help decrease cortisol while exercising?
The AIRWAAV was created by Dr. Dena Garner at the Citadel in South Carolina, who spent 15 years in research and development to perfect it for your use. She has published numerous peer-reviewed research articles to demonstrate the science that backs up her claims for the device. It has been proven to reduce lactic acid and cortisol, increasing endurance and providing faster recovery times. If intense exercise is a part of your life, purchase the best performance mouthpiece available today!