Why People Use Oxygen Training Masks to Work Out
Oxygen training masks have been made popular in recent years because famous athletes have worn them when working out and because they have been featured in movies about athletes. Why do people wear them? It started out as a nod to the belief that working out at a high altitude can increase red blood cells, therefore increasing oxygenation while working out. The AIRWAAV Performance Mouthpiece is one natural way to promote better breathing during your workout, as we’ll discuss below.
If the underlying reason for using oxygen training masks were true, they might be a good idea. But in fact, it’s not people who simply work out at higher altitudes who experience the benefits of higher VO2 max, the body’s ability to utilize oxygen. But the people who are affected by being at high altitudes don’t just spend time working out in a higher altitude environment—they actually live in a higher altitude environment. To push that to its logical conclusion, the oxygen training masks would be more effective if they were worn during sleep than if they were worn just during training.
But even this doesn’t make sense, because the workout oxygen mask does not actually mimic higher-altitude air. Rather than breathing in air with less oxygen as you would at high altitudes, you are breathing in less air with the mask. It doesn’t increase red blood cell production or your oxygen-carrying capacity. It works more like a respiratory muscle training device in that your lungs have to work harder to get enough air during intense workouts. So the actual effect of the oxygen training mask is to reduce your performance by up to 20 percent.
The AIRWAAV Performance Mouthpiece, on the other hand, is a workout device that can increase your oxygen intake and lower your respiratory rate by 20 percent or more. As you can see, the AIRWAAV works better than a mask to help breathing while working out. There are a few other ways to naturally improve oxygenation. Continue reading to learn more about them and about how the AIRWAAV can help you improve your high-intensity and endurance workouts.
Natural Ways to Increase Oxygenation
- Breathing fresh air is one way to increase oxygen levels in your blood. The more fresh air you breathe, when working out and during everyday life, the better your lungs will be able to get oxygen to your blood cells.
- Drinking plenty of water also helps increase oxygenation. Because water is a crucial element to help your lungs work properly, it can have an effect on your blood oxygen levels.
- Eating iron-rich foods like lean protein, green leafy vegetables, legumes, and certain fruits can increase the number of red blood cells, which need iron to work. This allows your red blood cells to carry oxygen throughout your body more efficiently.
- Using breath training exercises like the 4-7-8 method can help you control your breathing when working out. Use the 4-7-8 method when you’re calm and at rest. To do this, you breathe in for a count of 4, hold the air in your lungs for a count of 7, and breathe out for a count of 8 while making a whooshing sound. Repeat this for a few minutes a couple of times a day.
- Use the AIRWAAV Performance Mouthpiece. This is an all-natural way to improve your lungs’ response during intense or endurance workouts. Keep reading to learn how it works.
The AIRWAAV Performance Mouthpiece directions your tongue down and forward and when you bite down, it creates the optimal airway opening. It's patented and scientifically proven with peer-reviewed, published research to provide athletes:
- Increased Endurance: Reduces your respiratory rate by 20%.
- Increased Strength: Improves muscular endurance.
- Faster Recovery: Reduces cortisol build up levels by up to 50%.
How does the AIRWAAV Performance Mouthpiece work to improve my workout?
Dr. Dena Garner of the Citadel in South Carolina developed the AIRWAAV over 15 years of research and development with elite athletes. She has published many peer-reviewed articles describing the science behind how the mouthpiece works.
The AIRWAAV Performance Mouthpiece is made of our patented VistaMaxx material, which is flexible enough to be comfortable and strong enough to stand up to use workout after workout. Since it doesn’t absorb bacteria, it’s easy to keep clean. Just use gentle soap or toothpaste and water each day, and it will retain its clear, sharp look.
There are two features that help the AIRWAAV Performance Mouthpiece improve your blood oxygenation and performance. Biting down on the bite plate, which is placed over your lower molars, puts your jaw in just the right position to help improve your breathing, which results in reduced cortisol production. Tucking your tongue under the intake bar, which is fit up against your lower front teeth, moves it forward and down. These two devices work together to open your airway by almost 10 percent and immediately help reduce your respiratory rate by 20 percent or more.
Where can I get an AIRWAAV Performance Mouthpiece?
If you’ve been considering getting an oxygen mask for workouts, think again. You can get better results, better performance, greater strength, and improved oxygenation using the AIRWAAV. Order the best performance mouthpiece online today and see the AIRWAAV improvement for yourself!