What is cortisol and why should I reduce it?
Cortisol is called the stress hormone because it is released by your adrenal glands when you are under stress — both mental and physical. This is helpful in some short-term conditions, but it’s not good for you when cortisol continues to be released in large amounts. Strenuous exercise raises cortisol levels because of the stress placed on your body during intense workouts. Unfortunately, studies reveal that a number of the complications that can happen due to increased cortisol rates are the opposite of your goals as an endurance or high-intensity athlete. The AIRWAAV Performance Mouthpiece can mitigate these concerns. Continue reading to see how it works.
To start with, cortisol both increases your appetite and shifts your body to store energy as fat instead of directing it to your muscles, which can cause unwanted weight gain. Excess cortisol also brings on fatigue as it can interfere with daily sleep cycles and disrupt your regular sleep patterns. Cortisol also contributes to “brain fog” by restricting the brain’s ability to form memories. This impaired brain function can be dangerous in the long term. Finally, increased cortisol contributes to infections and can even lead to chronic complications like type 2 diabetes and high blood pressure.
Obviously, these are all good reasons to want to reduce your cortisol levels. Working out with the AIRWAAV Performance Mouthpiece can naturally reduce cortisol levels by up to 50 percent. Other options are natural cortisol reduction supplements, and we will go over some examples before discussing alternatives.
The AIRWAAV Performance Mouthpiece directions your tongue down and forward and when you bite down, it creates the optimal airway opening. It's patented and scientifically proven with peer-reviewed, published research to provide athletes:
- Increased Endurance: Reduces your respiratory rate by 20%.
- Increased Strength: Improves muscular endurance.
- Faster Recovery: Reduces cortisol build up levels by up to 50%.
Best Supplements for Cortisol Reduction
- Ashwagandha is an herb frequently used to alleviate anxiety. Studies show that it can reduce cortisol levels by up to 30 percent.
- Arctic root is a traditional Chinese herb used to increase vigor and stamina during intense workouts. It is said to reduce cortisol and increase your resilience to stress. It is often used to fight fatigue from the increased physical stress of high-intensity workouts.
- Bacopa is an herb that enhances mental acuity. It’s been used to treat anxiety, depression, and fatigue, as well as to help the digestive system, heart, and lungs. This can reduce the mental fog often induced by increased cortisol output.
- Ginkgo has been touted as a brain enhancement, but studies do not show it’s as effective as once believed. However, it does reduce your blood pressure and other symptoms of stress by reducing cortisol levels.
- Cordyceps is a fungus that has been used in Eastern medicine to increase stamina and promote longevity. Found on the backs of caterpillars, this fungus has been found to lower cortisol levels and improve physical performance.
- Fish oil, full of omega-3 essential fatty acids, has been found to blunt the body’s stress response, reducing cortisol levels.
- L-theanine is an amino acid found in white, black, green, and oolong teas. It’s said to induce a state of calm attentiveness, partly achieved by its cortisol-reduction properties.
- Prebiotics are found in foods like apples, chocolate, onions, garlic, tomatoes, and wheat. You can get these “good” fibers in supplements, but if your diet is rich in these types of foods, you shouldn’t need supplements. These foods will naturally reduce your cortisol levels.
How does the AIRWAAV Performance Mouthpiece work to reduce cortisol levels during exercise?
The AIRWAAV Performance Mouthpiece has been designed after 15 years of research and development with elite athletes and cadets at the Citadel in South Carolina. There are several published, peer-reviewed studies authored by its creator, Dr. Dena Garner, demonstrating its efficacy at reducing cortisol rates during exercise by up to 50 percent.
The mouthpiece is made of our patented VistaMaxx material, which is easily moldable to your teeth. This helps it stay in place comfortably each time you run, lift weights, cycle, or perform other high-intensity or endurance activities. The bite plate is placed over your lower molars. During your workout, you’ll bite down to help keep it in place and, more importantly, to put your jaw in the right position to improve the O2/CO2 exchange during intense workouts.
The intake bar is placed behind your bottom front teeth, and you’ll position your tongue down and forward to tuck it under the bar. Together, these two movements (the biting and the tongue placement), open your airway by 8 to 9 percent. This may help to reduce cortisol and lactic acid production while also lowering your respiratory rate. The reduction in high cortisol and lactic acid concentration improves your muscles’ ability to quickly recover after working out and reduces the fatigue.
Where can I get an AIRWAAV Performance Mouthpiece?
Exercise and cortisol are inextricably linked, and while there are natural supplements you can use to reduce excess cortisol production, using an AIRWAAV Performance Mouthpiece can give you real benefits without adding anything extra to your diet. The mouthpiece is completely natural and can even be used during competition. Order the best performance mouthpiece online today and see what a difference AIRWAAV can make in your exercise and cortisol levels.