AIRWAAV Athlete Michael Wardian recently completed his “Running Home” Challenge, running across the continental United States from coast to coast. Michael ran in support of World Vision's clean water work around the globe, for children and families to have access to clean and safe drinking water, raising over $100,000 by the end of the challenge.
Some incredible statistics from the challenge include:
- 61 days 21 minutes and 50 seconds of total running
- 3/232.88 total miles covered
- States Run Through: 13 States and Washington, DC
- California, Nevada, Utah, Colorado, Kansas, Missouri, Illinois, Indiana, Ohio, West Virginia, Virginia, Maryland, Delaware, District of Columbia
- Average Miles per day: 52.14
- Most Miles in one day: 104 Miles
- Fastest mile: 6:16 (last mile run)
- Calories Burned per Day: Appx. 5,000-7,000 Calories
- Starting weight: 146 lbs / Ending weight: 134.4 lbs
- Hours running per day: Appx. 12 hours per day
- Money raised for World Vision-USA: $112,347.54
AIRWAAV caught up with Wardian after the challenge for a recap Q&A:
What was the toughest part of the challenge?
The toughest part of the challenge was drivers being unkind and dangerous. Every day was shockingly difficult as drivers constantly put your life in danger.
What was the most rewarding part of the challenge?
The most rewarding part of the challenge was bringing people together and fostering community along the run. I was so pumped that so many people came out and ran with me but the best part was that those people made relationships that will last long after I am gone.
How did AIRWAAV help you on your run cross country? The AIRWAAV mouthpiece was an important tool in my arsenal for this challenge, AIRWAAV was especially helpful at altitude as it helped open my lungs and increased airflow.
How much was raised for world vision? (How many families are receiving clean water from your efforts)?
The goal was to raise $100,000 for World Vision USA's clean water projects and I am so proud to say that the running community has really stepped up and as of July 6, 2022, we have raised $112,347.54. Every $50 changes 1 person's life so we have impacted over 2,000 people with this run.